Monday, March 19, 2007

Cake for breakfast

As I write there is a pan of brown rice and broccoli sauteing on the stove. I'm going to crack an egg in it in a few minutes for a healthy morning scramble. I am coming off a weekend spent in Rabelaisian mode, eating (Lupa, Craftbar, Cookshop TWICE) and spending about a thousand dollars on clothes (but these ballet flats are the cutest things you have ever seen). The new austerity starts today.
I'd like to get more comfortable in my body between now and June 1. Notice I'm very carefully not calling it a diet or putting a number on the pounds lost goal. It used to be that I'd say "I need to lose 40 pounds" but that's the kind of goal that I'm sure psychologists have a special DSM number for. It's difficult to achieve and therefore can be used to beat myself up when I don't achieve it. It's always good to have a few unachieveable goals in reserve so that I can always be sure of having something to beat myself up with.
The truth is, I'd really rather have cake for breakfast. If it weren't the worst thing ever, I'd eat frosting three meals a day. Buttercream, specifically. I'm going to a bar mitzvah with Kperl this weekend and I'm sure it will be a Festival of Food, but I hope if I'm conscientious this week I'll feel less blimpy when I meet his massive, sprawling family.

No comments: